Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shopping Fast – Week Four


I’m in the home stretch! Two more days and I can shop to my heart’s content. But, you know what? I’m not all that anxious for my shopping fast to end. I kind of like how all the cash I’m saving is feeling in my wallet!

I did have a few weak moments in the last seven days, usually revolving around designer purses. For some reason I want a blue leather one for the fall. But then I consider the red Coach purse that I bought last year (at the outlet, with a 20% off coupon!), and I still think that one is fantastic. So maybe I will just make due with what I have.

Making due with what I have has been the theme for me this week. And I do actually have a lot to make due with! Most of us have more than enough in our closets, cabinets and garages, don’t we?

I’m reading an interesting book called, “The Cheapskate Next Door” by Jeff Yeager. The author said that none of the cheapskates he interviewed for the book suffered from “Keeping-Up-With-the-Jones” syndrome. I think many people, me included, get caught up in wanting what’s new & now, when we really don’t need most of it.

This shopping fast has helped to clarify what I need, what I want, and what I really want. And I will buy some things that I really want as soon as this fast is over.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...the red purse or blue one....such decisions. I'm totally inspired and maybe I'll try it for 2 weeks at a time. Paying for school has me broke and reaching out for my Dave Ramsey tapes!!

    ReplyDelete